Hua Nan Bank was founded in 1919 with capital of 10 million yen. Founders included the prominent local entrepreneur, Mr. Lin Hsiung-cheng, and several Southeast Asian overseas Chinese investors. The founding ceremony was held on January 29, 1919 and Mr. Lin Hsiung-cheng served as Chairman. The Bank maintained a head office in Taipei and started business in March 1919.
Mr. Lin Hsiung-cheng served as Chairman from 1919 to 1944. In 1944, Bank of Taiwan used its majority ownership in the bank to reassign Mr. Akekula as Chairman, and Mr. Lin Hsiung-cheng became Chairman Emeritus.
Following the retrocession of Taiwan to China on October 25, 1945, Mr. Lin Hsiung-cheng, as Chairman of the Commercial Association of Taiwan, was selected as Taiwan Province representative to participate in the ceremony that reinstated the R.O.C. capital. He also carried out the important mission of seeking support from the R.O.C. authorities to ensure the continued viability of Hua Nan Commercial Bank. He passed away on November 27, 1946. On February 22, 1947, the Bank held a shareholders’ meeting, during which Mr. Liu Chi-kuang was nominated by the board to become Chairman.
On May 3, 1947, the Bank merged with Taiwan Trust Company, the latter becoming the Bank’s newly-formed Trust Department, and increased capital to 25 million Old Taiwan dollars.
By June 1948 more than 60 branches staffed with high caliber employees had been established throughout Taiwan. The Bank thus became well-known and highly regarded as a sound and solid financial institution.
In 1948 when Taiwan’s economy began to be seriously impacted by the economic slump in mainland China, the Bank revised its business focus, reducing low yield business while promoting more profitable business. During this time, the Bank again increased capital to 1 billion Old Taiwan dollars.
In the period since monetary reform on June 15, 1949 through May 27, 2019, the Bank increased capital a number of times to reach the present amount of NT$82,865,000,000, positioning it as one of the soundest and largest banks in Taiwan.
A large number of government-owned shares was released on January 22, 1998, enabling the Bank to complete privatization and embark upon a new era.
The Bank made a reinvestment and set up HNCB Insurance Agency Co., Ltd. on January 31, 2001.
In order to adapt to government financial reforms and changes in the financial environment, to achieve synergy through diversification, and to meet long-term development needs, the Bank and Entrust Securities
Co. each convened extraordinary shareholders’ meetings on November 14, 2001 and passed a proposal to establish Hua Nan Financial Holdingss Co., Ltd. (HNFHC) via a 100% stock conversion. Mr. Lin Ming-cheng was elected as the Chairman of the board.
On December 19, 2001 HNFHC started business and its shares listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange. HNFHC, with registered capital of NT $100 billion, maintains its head office in Taipei. The Bank accordingly became a subsidiary of HNFHC.
For the purpose of elevating business efficiency and reducing costs, the Bank merged with Hua Nan Bills Corp. on May 23, 2008.
To facilitate business diversification and presence in Greater China, the Bank set up Hua Nan International Leasing Co., Ltd. on July 13, 2012.
To integrate group resources and lower operation cost, the Bank merged with Hua Nan Insurance Agency Corp. on SEP 30, 2017.